Admission with Museum Card

In the Shade of a Pine Forest – Hyvink Sanatorium 1896–1939

, Hyvink

  • 5.2.2023–7.1.2024

Hyvink City Museum tells the story of Hyvink Sanatorium. The sanatorium was founded in 1896 to offer rest and relaxation to busy city dwellers and a place to convalesce for people recovering from an illness.


Its guest book was full of famous names, such as the Russian poet Anna Akhmatova, the author Mika Waltari, the artist Hugo Simberg, the poet Saima Harmaja and Aino Sibelius, the wife of the famous composer Jean Sibelius.

As Hyvink Sanatorium soon gained popularity, it expanded in 1906, when the new main building, a handsome stone castle designed by the architect Lars Sonck (1870–1956), was completed.

Visitors to the sanatorium could benefit from Hyvinks dry mountain air until 1939, when it was converted into a military hospital. The sanatorium was badly damaged in the bombings during the Winter War (30 November 1939–13 March 1940) between Finland and the Soviet Union, and after the war the building was used for healthcare services.

In addition to the remaining sanatorium buildings, Hyvink Sanatorium has left its mark on the names of the streets in the area and the area itself, which serve as a reminder of the international influences that reached this small Finnish industrial town a century ago.

Share this with your friends!

  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • WhatsApp

Museum contact details

Hmeenkatu 3 D, 05800, Hyvink

040 480 1644

Museum website

Yhteydet julkisilla

Näytä reitti museolle Matkahuollon reittioppaassa


Katso reitti Matkahuollon reittioppaassa


, Hmeenkatu 3 D, 05800, Hyvink


Tai lataa Reitit ja Liput -sovellus

Admission fees

Admission with Museum Card
Admission with Museum Card


Payment methods

Meill ky mys Smartum, Edenred ja Museokortti.

Opening hours

Mon Closed
Tue 12:00-18:00
Wed 12:00-18:00
Thu 12:00-18:00
Fri 12:00-18:00
Sat 11:00-17:00
Sun 11:00-17:00

Free entry on Wednesdays 16–18.

Näyttelyn tekstit kielillä