The astronomy visitor centre of the Helsinki University Museum. Welcome to the journey through light years!
NB! The exhibitions of the Observatory are open from 25.6.2020 onwards (Thu 12–20, Fri 12–16). At present we do not take reservations for guided tours or bookings for the venues because of the coronavirus situation. We apologize the situation!
Designed by architect C. L. Engel in collaboration with Professor F. W. A. Argelander, the Helsinki Observatory was completed on Tähtitorninmäki Hill in 1834. The Observatory now functions as the astronomy visitor centre of the Helsinki University Museum. The Observatory’s exhibition gives people of all ages an opportunity to learn more about the history of the building and the wonders of space.
Available to rent for meetings and celebrations, the Argelander Hall and East Rotunda in the Observatory’s east wing are idyllic venues for a variety of functions.
The Observatory building also accommodates the facilities of the Ursa Astronomical Association, the University’s Almanac Office and a cafe.
Share this with your friends!
Irregular opening hours on our home page.