In 2018 we celebrated the 100th anniversary since the building of the Pitkälahti narrow-gauge railway. The railway was built so that ore could be transported from the Outokumpu mine to the harbor at Pitkälahti, on the coast of Juojärvi. The railways first transport happened on September 9th 1918. At that point the railway was still under construction, and it would take almost another two years for the construction to finish. The track transported ore until 1928 after which the regular railway from Joensuu to Outokumpu was built. Other cargo-traffic was abundant all through the 1940s. The passenger traffic on the line started in 1936, with the transportation of mine workers to and from work. In 1947 the passenger traffic was extended to include regular passengers. The last trip on the railway happened on the 17th of August 1955, after which the dismantling of the railway started.
Share this with your friends!Print version
Voit ostaa Museokortin tästä museokohteesta tai verkosta
Museum contact details
Outokumpu Mining Museum
Kaivosmiehenpolku 2, 83500 Outokumpu
+358 447 559 222
Liput: Aikuiset 6 €, lapset 4 €. Museokortilla ilmaiseksi kaivosmuseoon ja museotunneliin.
Käteinen, pankki- ja luottokortit, ryhmille laskutus.
By request open for groups also outside opening hours.
Accessibility [the criteria]
- Accessible toilet
- Disabled parking
- Guided tours for special groups by request
- Restricted accessibility
- Seating inside the exhibition
- Tactile objects